40 Lessons Learned....... in 39.5 years!
Women age like a fine wine, right?! At least that’s what I’m telling myself. Ha!
I honestly don’t believe it, but I’m 6 months away from turning 40. It’s the age where most women kinda freak out. Let’s be real, there are a ton of rumors & studies about being 40. Your metabolism slows down, wrinkles and grey hairs start appearing, mammograms are scheduled, hearing and eye sight changes, etc. Simply put, you’re not a spring chicken anymore!
Before I scare you 30 somethings or make you 40+ roll your eyes at me, I’m not focused on any of that. I say BRING IT ON!!
I’ve reached the age where my brain went from “you probably shouldn’t say that” to “what the hell, let’s see what happens!”
So since I’ve made it to the middle of my life (fingers crossed), I feel like I have earned all rights to share 40 lessons learned.
Here we go…
- When you plan, God might laugh at you. He’s got an entirely different plan that is 100 times better
- You will have friends for a reason, friends for a season, and friends for life. This applies for all ages
- Years are a matter of phases - some are super cool and others you will look back on and cover your eyes in utter embarrassment. (Think haircuts here…EEK!)
- We all have flaws. Nobody and no life is perfect
- Never apologize for standing your ground
- Work to Live....Don't Live to work
- Happiness is an inside job
- Say what you mean and mean what you say
- Parenthood will be the hardest, but most rewarding job you’ll ever have
- The grass is always greener (where you water it)
- Dreams do come true...if you work for it
- Karma is real
- You don’t get older, you get better
- The green-eyed monster you’re taught about as a kid lives in all ages
- Kindness is the secret ingredient to every life recipe
- Playing team sports has a huge impact in life skills (i.e.: career, teamwork, character, academics, etc)
- Common sense is not that common anymore
- Your kids might be kids, but they see every emotional battle you’re fighting
- Perception is reality to most. Don’t trust what you see, even salt looks like sugar
- You will be disappointed by some of the closest people in your life, but you will survive
- Trust actions, not words
- Mama bear is scary for all involved
- A girl always needs her mama
- Nothing is handed to you, you have to earn it
- Practice what you preach
- Distance yourself from negativity
- It costs $0 to be a decent human being
- Life isn’t tied up with a bow, but it’s still a gift
- Anything that costs you peace, is too expensive
- Gummy candy, a good hike, and/or alcohol, cure the worst days. But the real lesson...tomorrow is always a new day
- Expect what you inspect
- Take a lot of pictures, you’ll need the reminders
- Embrace storms in your life
- Failure always occurs before success
- Strength is showcased in many forms
- Money does NOT buy happiness
- Be YOU - ALWAYS!
- No matter how you feel...get up, dress up, and show up
- There is a difference between giving up and knowing you have had enough
- You never stop learning
I’m sure there are a million more life lessons we could add to this list. However, as I sit here sipping my second cup of coffee and planning how & where I’m going to “ring in” turning 40, I’m thanking my lucky stars for the life I have. I heard an amazing quote “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” So true, right?! Keep living your best life and know that others are attempting to do the same.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog, please feel free to add any wisdom you have in the comment section below.